Will "the Mighty" Strohl

Bing Challenge: Day 6

Bing vs. Google In my ongoing quest to put Bing through the wringer, and to see how it compares to my usual preferred search engine, I had some interesting results today.  Before I get into that though, I should mention that I have truly been taking this challenge seriously.  I have switched my default search engines, and I even search for more things than usual, just to put that much more effort towards my end goal.  What’s that goal?  Easy.  I want to give Bing its fair chance to make me a believer – if it can.

Searching for Technical Assistance

Probably the most common thing I use any search engine for is to look for assistance to technical issues I am having.  This is common.  While it really is more fun and beneficial to figure out the answer on my own – I simply don’t have that kind of time anymore.  So, one of my first steps to solve a technical issue that I don’t know the answer to is to jump on a search engine and see if anyone else has asked the same question I have, and what their resolution was.

Today, my main technical issue revolved around an upgrade I am applying to 20+ modules and 4 skins that are using the Telerik control suite.  This implementation of the popular control suite is more than a few versions old.  However, throughout my project, I am getting the following error:

Request for the permission of type ‘System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’ failed.

I was running in circles looking for the cause of this error.  So, like a a true “expert,” I turned to my resources to find the answer. :)

I went to Bing first of course.  I used a pretty standard search engine query style that I have come to use to find all of my answers successfully over time.  Here is my search:

telerik Request for the permission of type ‘System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’ failed.

As you can easily see, I just searched for the error message I encountered with the technology prepended to the query terms.  Unfortunately, Bing didn’t like that.  It instead seemed more content with ignoring the fact that I was concerned about Telerik altogether.  None of the results on the first page pertain to Telerik at all.  Not good…

Search Results: Telerik Error Message on Bing

Putting the same query into Google proved to do the exact opposite.  The very first result was from the Telerik website itself.  While not all of the results on the page pertained to Telerik specifically, there were many more than on Bing.

Search Results: Telerik Error Message on Google

I could not help but think while this was happening that with Bing being marketed as a “decision engine” that it made the decision for me what I was looking for instead of passing what I really expected back to me.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

blog comments powered by Disqus